Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Duty

Last night, I deleted twitter. I will not return. It had soothed my hypervigilance, but went sour. I started to despair. Which is unhelpful.

So, today, I did a lot of crossword puzzles and sudoku. And I have the next five days off work. I miss expressing myself with gifs. Otherwise, planning on reading more books and gardening and painting and cleaning the house.

I must simply do what I can within my reach. Not social enough to shake anything up. I must withdraw or explode. Implode, may be more correct. And I have a duty.


Duty I take very seriously.

6 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I do think that Twitter does not help in these difficult times. I have no use for it and think it is better for the mind and spirit to stay off. Social media is a two edge sword that can cut at any time.

Zhoen said...

It did help me, for a while. I found reassurance, and at least one friend. I spread the word and killed some trolls. But the ratio changed. That part of the war is over for me, and that's it.

flask said...

oh, dear one.

there is a limit to what each of us can do at any time.

and there are two things about the twitter: it's not designed to serve your needs or wants. it is designed to get maximum engagement from its users, which usually means connecting you to content that makes you angry.

additionally, there are a number of people / bots on there who have no other purpose than to target "liberals", whatever that word means anymore.

i used to consider myself a libertarian, back before that word became code for "racist asshatwho doesn't care about anybody else".

these days i am happiest in the woods, working with children. it's not that i love children so much, but over and over i hear future citizens talk about sharing and preserving and conserving in a way that makes me think maybe it will get better.

so we teach these young ones skills and we help them to grow strong and we turn them out into the world and say good luck, we hope you can do better than we did.

keep growing flowers.

Zhoen said...

flask,
Oh, I knew what twitter was, but it helped me understand. But like working trauma, I got to the point (and I knew I would) where I could not longer be useful, and I was sustaining damage.

Ha! Kids, yes. I am friendly with neighborhood children, answer any questions about the garden. I feel it's part of my duty to be kind to them.

Gentle Eye said...

"reading more books and gardening ... and cleaning the house"

That's what I aspire to, too. Plus singing in the community choir.

I have a Twitter account, but don't post there much. Go once or twice a week and look at the few people that I follow, but don't comment. Can't abide the spatting!

Zhoen said...

Gentle,

I shall miss hoarsewhisperer and stonekettle and juliusgoat. And expressing myself through gifs. I felt I was putting my oar in on social issues, supporting good candidates all over the country. I waded in and did my bit. But I suddenly got in over my head, and got out without hesitation.