Thursday, May 31, 2018

Butte

Red Butte Gardens have been going for 35 years. I don't know when I first visited, but they were a much smaller place then. Perhaps got me in mind to plant a garden one day, low water, native place style, even then, when it seemed I would never have a plot of my own. Got a tour, once. I still remember her talking about the importance of drought tolerant grasses, wild flowers, and leaving rattlesnakes live.

It's very large now, with both mature and still new raw gardens over the hill. A concert and wedding venue, as well as(or as a way to finance) an education in botany and conserve a place that would likely have gone to 'development' otherwise.

Instead, the most gorgeous views. Free for school groups. Employment for students all summer. Art installations. It's quite a place.



And it's giving me ideas about what I want to plant next. We went up yesterday, we had the day off together. Dylan tolerant of my gardening interest, and joins in as he can. He does love what I've done so far.



I still call it Red Butt.


No comments: