I planted the tomatoes. Also the strawberries, but Farmgal told me that was ok, and the nursery woman said the hen&chickens would be fine as well.
I planted all the tomatoes. Didn't realize there were so many plants, an even dozen. So, I put one in the back corner where nothing grew last year, and two in the front, where they will get more light, but less water. Three sacrificial plants. The soil really is in better shape this year, though. Loosened up, lots of last falls's dead leaves, thick snow pack melted into the ground, loads more worms. More sun coming through. I'm going to have to do some research on earthworms.
There is no indication of any kind of cold weather for the next week, and if there is a frost in May, I will use the dryer lint and paper bags, and snuggle 'em down for the night. I really doubt that will happen though.
Scattered the eggshells around, to deter snails. The peas are coming up, so is the lettuce. The rhubarb is alive and well. Everything is, frankly, looking hopeful. So I ran with hope.
The watermain leak was on city property, in front of the neighbor to the north.
All the noise of the backhoe bothered Moby...
not at all.
5 comments:
My tomatoes are still lodging in a friend's greenhouse, and the sweet-peas (lots of them) are sitting on the kitchen table. English weather has become even more unreliable!
Glad Moby is taking everything in his stride.
So spring has indeed sprung, as they say. Good fortune with the garden produce.
there comes a point where you just have to go for it!!
We cherry tomato seedlings are still growing in my basement greenhouse. This weekend, however, I spent time sprucing up my raised beds in the back. I'm changing things up this year and will plant a combination of perennials, annuals and vegetables. Just need to figure out what of each.
Brassica, Solanaceae, Legume. Or so I was taught. Rotate your crops.
Post a Comment