Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Forgotten

Like Mr. Rogers, I change clothes when I get to work. Into something much more comfortable, scrubs like cotton pyjamas. Shoes are much the same, but I have shoes that never leave work, with good arch supports and insoles, orange, stained, often with blue covers on. And more times than I like to think, I will sometimes take my everyday shoes off, pull on scrubs, and them put the outside shoes right back on, only to look down because I've noticed that the shoes are still warm, and have to try again.

I've never forgotten to remove my cap and put on the cotton OR hat - tucking my hair inside. That would be like forgetting pants - which I also have never done.

No, but I forget to put on my pouch before I close the locker. Have to open it up again, put it on. Has my scissors and pens, and it's where my ring and watch go if I scrub in. Because I once threw my ring away putting it in the scrub pocket. At the end of the day, worn scrubs are dumped in the laundry bag in the locker room.

Having a lock with a thumb position combination instead of numbers has been wonderful, since my hand remembers, when summoning up numbers was always an iffy proposition. Especially first thing in the morning - before 0700, or after very long days.



I have forgotten to wear my jacket home after work on warm days with cold mornings. I've left my ring & watch in the pouch at work. Or my necklace when I take it off and drop it in there as well, because it's irritating under the thyroid shield when running the fluoro.

After I lock the car, I clip the keys on to my purse* strap, where it stays all day. As I leave, I slip my badge into the outside zip pocket, where it stays when I'm not at work. These sorts of habits are part of why I forget details less now than when I was younger, lose fewer things.

My clothes I lay out the night before, mostly developed that habit so as not to wake D in the morning in small apartments. But mostly because I don't trust my morning brain, and try not to stress it out too much.



*A very small baggallini, very practical.

2 comments:

Phil Plasma said...

I've taken to laying out, or at least deciding, what I will wear the next day before I go to sleep so that I don't have to give it any thought whatsoever. I am trying to teach my kids to do the same, but it isn't always effective.

Zhoen said...

It's part of my going-to-bed routine. Like brushing my teeth and locking the doors.