Poor D has been suffering greatly with tree pollen. I'd heard that honey could help*, or at least be comforting†. And I know tea is good‡ for
airways. Or at least not harmful. At any rate, warm beverages are nice when it's hard to breathe. D has never been a tea drinker, never appealed, and he grew up with the religious prohibition. But he was willing to try hot tea and honey as a medicinal. Indeed, it seemed to help a bit, which is all one can expect of home remedies - a moderate comfort when afflicted, but without side effects. He already takes antihistamines and decongestants.
This morning I brewed up a blend of oolong with this,
with milk and honey.
And for the first time, he tells me he actually liked tea for it's own sake. The aromatics - which he didn't realize he could actually smell through the mucous, somehow got through. Not to mention feeling appreciably better.
For the first time, in over 20 years, he has
asked to share a pot of tea with me. Cool.
As for the allergies, I don't react much to the trees, the grasses will get me later a bit, but the fall weeds are my nemesis.
*Almost certainly not.
†A bit, adjusted for taste.
‡Well, can't hurt.
4 comments:
(O)
Good for you that D found a T you two can share.
I hadn't reacted to anything through most of my life, but two years ago (perhaps it was three) my eyes started to get really watery under some specific outdoor condition that I can't recall - was it fall, spring or summer... perhaps I'll try to play closer attention this year and see when it happens.
I cannot image having a dislike of tea, but then we Brits have always known that there is nothing like a nice cup o' tea. And now you have discovered the healing properties of a nice "cuppa". That's great! Hope the misery of the allergy is short-lived.
Phil,
It can start at any point.
Tom,
D doesn't dislike tea, so much as not really register it. Grew up without tea or coffee. He drank it occasionally, as something hot, but it may as well have been hot water as far as he was concerned. Given it at India Quality waiting take-out, he drank it, glad for something hot, and being a polite human.
Whereas I grew up on tea, it was the hot drink all winter, with lots of milk. And became my beverage of choice, black. With a friend who taught me to be a tea snob, I was on my way for a lifetime habit.
Post a Comment