Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chives



The soil is recovering. Loads more worms, of all girths and lengths, front and back. More centipedes. I've started to flip rocks, since I have a reason to, now. I gently return them, of course. I'd laid wood from the fence as walkways last month. Noticed long slender leaves sneaking up around, and beneath -- the chives that couldn't be arsed last year. Flourishing. We shall have chives.

The spot with more sun is full of ashes, though. Very bad in this part of the world, with soil already salty and alkaline. No luck finding any information on pioneer plants to help it recover, not online. Just recommendations not to add ashes to the soil, save in rare cases of very acidic soil. Well, I'm not adding any, I'm trying to get rid of what I was dumped with. So, I asked my county extension gardeners, sent an email. I might get a reply. I suspect the veronica is doing so well because I did dig up some of the ash last year, disposed of some of it. Might be all I can do. Dilute and let the native "weeds" take over next year. Replace the dirt with bought stuff, mulch with leaves in the fall. I'm convinced all the stolen leaves that sat on top during the winter were very good for it all.

I think the garden knows it's loved as well. The real love, that finds out what is needed, and that is what is done.

4 comments:

Relatively Retiring said...

Compost, compost, compost. The answer to so many of life's problems - well, my life's problems anyway!)

Zhoen said...

And time, time, time. So much, I think I will also have to just dispose of it.

Phil Plasma said...

I don't have ash. I have clay. With a thin layer of dirt on top of it, I have had to put in raised beds to give my plants more depth.

Zhoen said...

Phil,
I have clay. Especially in front, covered with plastic netting under a think layer of sod.