Then a large school group arrived. Not bad, but loud and erratic - as they are. Looked about 8- 10 year olds, wildly diverse. One of the shorter boys, when the Out of Service train started up to move away in an impressively thundering manner, began shouting "OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!OHMYGOD!" D, so only I could hear said, "It's just a train, you'll get used to it."
My travel anxiety hit me hard, and it was all I could do not to beg that we just go home. Once we got on, and started moving, I got it under control. When they announced three stops later that the train we were on was also going out of service, and we had to board another train, I managed to laugh. Didn't really feel a whole lot better until we got to Ogden, and ate at the station grill. I do this, and it can be very disconcerting. Thankfully, D has seen me go through it so often, he just comforts me, and I let him jolly me along, until it passes.
Waiting again the way back, watched a bird, and read the signs.
5 comments:
When the weather gets warmer, I'll photo the train experience I have. Fortunately, the train experience here is significantly more reliable.
The art seems to match the experience uncomfortably well.
The only time I don't have travel anxiety is riding the trains. Bad thing is there are no trains where I live now.
Phil,
I much prefer trains as a method.
RR,
Especially long journeys.
Rou,
I have it to start with, but as soon as it moves, I feel better. Not so with cars, busses nor planes. I have a soft spot for boats, though, not often experienced.
You also suffer from travel anxiety?
Horrible, isn't it?
It took me all my courage to get myself to London on Friday, if it hadn't been for a lecture I'd been looking forward to I'd have stayed in bed!
I thought I'd been so brave and grown-up until I got home to be told off by my daughter for forgetting my mobile phone. Thank god she didn't ground me!
:-)
Post a Comment