Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Weeds



I've almost vanquished it, although I expect a long guerrilla war to drag on for years. I'd like to know the name of my enemy.


Two days scrubbed in all day, these guys are just not happy.



Nor any other part of my basic structure, really. I dug hard, and although not exactly less sore, no worse, and I think I kept myself loosened, along with the soil.

As I hacked away, a nice guy came up to talk to me. He started out introducing himself and handed me his card, to ask permission to run a metal detector over the dirt. I said sure, if I could keep any marbles he found. I hummed "Metal Detector" to myself as he worked. Rather nice having a bit of quiet company.



He found a handful of pennies and some keys, but seemed happy enough just to have someone to exclaim over his finds of tokens and a sheriff's badge (photos on iphone).



6 comments:

The Crow said...

Not 100% sure, but I think your weed is an edible wild herb commonly called peppergrass of peppercress. The pink stem sheath is why I think that's its name. Look up lepidium, in the mustard family.

Zhoen said...

Crow,
The leaves are much more grass blade shaped and arranged. I realize the photo doesn't make this clear. But I've been handling this stuff closely.

Good try, though.

Phil Plasma said...

Would marbles show up on a metal detector? Aren't marbles made of glass?

The cats look happy enough, perched.

Fresca said...

I don't know what the weed is, but I love its color combination of pink and greens.

Relatively Retiring said...

That's a splendid feet photo!

Zhoen said...

Phil,
Any digging might incidentally turn up a marble. This time, it didn't.

Fresca,
My Master Gardener friend (who just got funding for her master's) thinks it is in the same family as catchgrass. I continue to research. But I'm relieved that she was a bit stumped, it's not obvious.

RR,
Transluminated toes.