Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Know




This took me a little while to mull. Then I remembered the google accuracy ratings. People who are frightened, lacking any insight, and wanting their truthiness all neat and comfortable. They might just want to go back to when Medicine was balancing humours, bleeding and mercury. I had to go look up The Authoritarians again. (Links at the bottom to free pdf of the whole book.)


And science is scary. NPR explains why we haven't got a real handle on cancer, because it's Complicated. Despite amazing advances in astronomy, it's a keyhole peek on infinity.

We really need to be smart enough to know that we will never know it all, nor even most. We have to learn to be comfortable with getting as far as we can, and watching the universe stretch away beyond our reach, unknowable and magnificent. Never be afraid to ask, to question, to explore, but always with the understanding that there will always damned data, because there will always be further complexity.



No petty god could have created this, not the sort who cared about being worshipped - nonetheless how.

Agnosticism is the only attitude that makes any sense to me, an awestruck, "dunno."




2 comments:

the polish chick said...

agreed. the god we made, is no god i want any part of. jealous, petty, bureaucratic, high maintenance when it comes to headwear, facial hair, hemlines, and all other manner of silliness. we have made a god who "made us in his image" and then forbade us to be human. i'll have no part of it!

Zhoen said...

pc,
This is why, whenever someone claims faith, I ask for how they define their god. I think it's critical, it matters, since I've never had faith and I don't understand it. If I can get behind their definition of what they call god, it means I can respect it.

Oh, gotta put up that video about the glasses that correct colorblindness...