Sunday, March 08, 2015

What were you never taught growing up?

I never understood about roommates, and how to protect myself from irresponsible ones. I got taken several times by unscrupulous ones.

I didn't know not to throw loose tea down the drain, since my mother only used tea bags, and a sort of friend got me using loose leaves. I clogged the hell out of one apartment sink, terrible roommate told me off. The one who left a huge bowl of hummus to rot. The one who never paid me for her numerous long distance phone calls. At least a call to her mother got that taken care of.

I did not know that a parking ticket could not be dealt with by ignoring it.

I did not know how to use bleach without ruining my clothes, still a struggle.

I did not know how poor nutrition would drag on me, even after starting to eat vegetables. I lived on quick breads I baked, drank milk despite hating it because I thought it 'nutritious' and ate lots of candy stolen from the concessions I worked at the theater. My gut always hurt and I was often ill and weak. Took many years to learn how to eat any better. Steamed frozen veggies, fresh broccoli and beets from Eastern Market helped. Less bread and avoiding milk made a huge difference. Not to mention a lot fewer sweets.

I did not know how important good (expensive) shoes are. Well made, well fitted, well supported. My feet hurt unnecessarily for years until good running shoes became common.

I did not know how to be a good restaurant customer. How to order well, how to tip properly, how to complain appropriately and kindly, I was awful and hungry.

I did not know how to deal with drinking, or the terrible hangovers I inevitably got. A series of experiments and I learned based on real data.

I did not know how to keep track of cash taken out of an atm, and ran short much more quickly than I expected... once.








No comments: