Long, long ago, I went to a tarot card reader. Met her at a fair, and visited her at her house. She was older, a bit flighty, but sweetly odd. She talked with me for over an hour, all about me. I knew what I was getting was a cold reading, but it was a very gentle one. I went, because I had no insurance, nor any way to get therapy, and I needed to be seen, listened to, completely, for a little while. And maybe get a bit of insight from a random source. Some suggestions for how to proceed.
I had no thought that she had any kind of special line of information, no psychic power, only that she was a keen observer of humans. There were no great revelations, none that I remember, only a calmness from being the center of attention in a quiet, private way. Perhaps a sharper one would have been more helpful, but this was cheap, cheaper than a massage. Strangely reassuring.
Today ran long, which is fine since it's been short today, and we are closed tomorrow. Patient with an unusual injury, which the surgeon repaired so that it will heal. Interesting stuff.
Reading about how rosacea may be caused by Demodex mites in pores, or their crap, or the inflammation in reaction to the excretions. Trying eucalyptus washes, see if it helps. Tea tree oil may as well. But I know eucalyptus works on dust mites, so I figured I'd try that first. My face is an experiment.
Cleaned the mantle (still amazed I have a mantle) of all but a few items, dusted and polished as well. So much better. The clutter away. Still haven't got the light up, the installer never scheduled, then offered a colleague, who has never even called. We're looking elsewhere. Bugger.
13 comments:
i went to see a tarot reader in my early twenties. she immediately put me off by making a mess of my name (well, that part i'm used to, and not much bothered by) then laughing dismissively that she wouldn't get it so wouldn't bother (THIS the part that always gets me - how dare you? and to my face!).
she obviously wasn't a keen observer of humans because she foretold i'd have several children by various fathers (as if), and then meet the love of my life at 45. that my father would die in his late 40's (he just ran his 66th marathon at67). that i would stay in that city for good (left after 3 months of utter misery). i can't remember what else, but it sure put me off the fortune-telling folk.
to this day, i get a bitter taste in my mouth at wasting what, at that time, was more than i could afford.
silly, the things we do, to try to know the unknowable.
pc,
Ugh, how'd she make any money? The good ones have a way with people, and the first reading has to be their best sample.
The one I saw was more like an amateur therapist, no big predictions, all rather soulful and vague. I suppose if she'd made any of that sort of prediction, I didn't bother to listen.
(O)
A little over 50 years ago, my mother gave me a set of fortune card, loosely based on tarot. These are Samoan in origin, and somewhat tattered around the edges. I treasure them because she gave them to me, not because they tell the future. I've had a lot of fun "reading" for people over the years.
I'm glad your reading provided some measure of comfort. Sounds like it was worthwhile.
Crow,
I like tarot cards, simply because it's a way to bring up random stuff for me to think about. Rattle the cage, see what flies up, look at problems differently. Nothing spooky, reorienting to ask different questions. Art museums work that way for me as well.
I'd love to see what your cards look like.
Have never had a "reading," although one of my nieces used to do them, for a great deal of money, at bars -- she gleefully made up things to tell people, but I don't think she was very successful at it, she had no insight into people's motives or into psychology at all....
As for getting your light installed, you might go to Home Depot or to Lowe's, tell them you bought a light fixture from them, but tell them you lost the name and number of the installer and that you now have the money to have it installed and you need a couple of names and numbers of their recommended installers (licensed electricians). I'm sure Home Depot will give you the info as I've had dealings with them in the past and I think Lowe's has a similar set-up. It's better than just using the phone book or the want ads, and you can still check them out with the Better Business Bureau before you sign any contract. And you should have a written contract before you allow any work to begin -- it will protect you in case he or she does any damage and in case you need to file a claim against your house insurance. Any reputable electrician will WANT a contract so that they are protected against you! Just a suggestion....
We are working with a local firm, old and reputable. Appointment on Monday, we will remember the contract. Although for just one light fixture... well, we shall see.
Our experience with HD and L's has been uneven. When they are good, it's been great. Other times, not so much.
I've always been curious about psychics, tarot card readers, etc. but I've never gotten up the nerve to go to one. I just think it would be an interesting experience.
Jo(e),
Watch for them at street fairs, see if they seem bright first. Apparently, there are some rather useless ones around, based on the comments above. There is a new age bookstore near here that has readers sitting at tables during peak hours. I worked with a woman who read cards, but I can only imagine she was terrible.
I have always been rather leery of the use of the Tarot for fortune telling. Used as an adjunct to the study of the esoteric Qabalah, however, is a very different story.
Tom,
And I use it for neither. It can't tell future. But as art that stimulates insight, it's useful.
Thinking about you and Tarot cards and rosacea.
Before R left for Vietnam in 1970, he had given me a Tarot deck for Christmas. During the 10 months that he was gone, I learned to read the cards. When he returned the following December, he asked for a reading. The card in the center of his layout was titled The Actor, traditionally known as The Emperor. As I began to talk about what I had learned about that card, he became deeply agitated and said, "Fuck this!" and, in a rage, he scattered the cards across the floor. I didn't look at the cards again for years. Perhaps I will look at them again soon.
Between age 45 and 55, coincident with menopause, I had unmanageable rosacea. Early on, I went to my doctor and was prescribed a daily dose of minocycline. Not only did that not help, it eventually caused a severe and disabling side effect of extreme fatigue, and I stopped taking it. Over the years, I discovered that the rosacea flared most dramatically when I ate sugar or foods in the nightshade family. Beginning at around age 59, I developed ocular rosacea whenever I would experiment with eating sugar or nightshade vegetables.
I think it was in 2008 that I discovered Dermarest shampoo as a result of a weird bout with psoriasis. Although Dermarest is for psoriasis and sebhorrheic dermatitis, it occurred to me that it might help relieve my rosacea. When I wash my hair with it, I gather up some of the soapsuds from my hair and use it to wash my face, including my eyelids. Since doing that, my rosacea has remained in remission, except for the times I have experimented with sugar and nightshade vegetables. Recently, I observed that during a period where I was taking a daily antihistamine, that coincided with an angry flare of ocular rosacea. So much for a daily antihistamine. Refraining from eating certain foods eliminated the symptoms that prompted me to take a daily antihistamine.
Usually I read your blog quietly, but every so often I am moved to comment. Thank you for your ongoing thoughts and photos.
am,
Always glad to hear what you have to say. Sounds like you accidentally hit a nerve with him, very sad and scary.
I will do a little more rosacea research, then. Mine isn't really bad, mostly controlled, don't know how it relates to my tomato eating, but it sounds like I need to keep track and experiment. And, yes, definitely is related to hormones.
Post a Comment