Saturday, March 21, 2015

Tidy

Started in one spot, the coat rack. Cleared it of the heaviest coats and all the scarves, gloves, mittens. Dusted and polished the wood in the entry - bottom to top. Swept, mopped, washed the rugs, hosed off the boot mats, cleaned the windows in the front door and the window right next to it. Wow, sounds like more than it looks, I have to say. This is a very small area, but I cleaned the hell out of it.

Getting the house into shape, so that we can have guests, or a game night, or a copper party, is going to be a long job. I've been neglecting the inside for the sake of the front garden, because that had a definite time limit. Get it done very early, or it would be baked hard until next spring. So, the grime has accumulated. In no small part tracked in on my shoes from said soil. But the time has come, since there is nothing more to do until May. And I'm tackling it a few square feet at a time.

Speaking of cleaning, I often check my spam quarantine. Thankfully, my local isp is excellent at keeping what gets to my inbox minimal, and I have a substantial blacklist. Not against communists, mostly commercial, a few personal, and once a non-profit or social justice group gets your email, your inbox is never your own again. Sometimes, it works too well. So, I check the list without opening anything. I do see the subject and sender, though.



ARE YOU STILL ALIVE??
Great News, YOU ARE ADVISED TO STOP CONTACTING THEM!!!
Attention:Dear
This nymph wants you to date her
DEARLY BELOVED (PLEASE HELP HUMANITY)h

(sic, all)

Not to mention tax refunds I've 'overlooked'... from Canada. Where I have lots of family, but have never worked, nor paid taxes. Or attention needed from a 'Royal Bank.' The US has many odd quirks, but I don't think we have any "royal" banks, and I've certainly never opened an account in one.

I want to stay aware of the flavors of newer spams. Be familiar with the tricks and traps. Stay savvy and sharp. Despite not having computers available until my late 20s, I've done pretty well. As long as they're macs, of course. D had an atari when we got together, I got a mac to start nursing school, I posted on his friends' BBS before there was an internet. I rely on D as my IT guy, but I try to be a good user. I'm useless with most windows stuff, but I can learn a particular program pretty well, as I've had to for charting and routing images at work. Not unlike acclimating to different accents of people I work with.

I do know to try turning it off and on again.


A bit of hopeful news, apparently my boss is officially planning to leave in 18 months. D guesses we'll get to a point where she's basically checked out. I had to say, yeah, it's already happening. She's not an OR nurse, and has never shown any interest in understanding what we actually do back there. It would be really good if her replacement has some sense of having our backs.

Oh, and my Paypal account has apparently be closed. Funny, I never opened one.





3 comments:

Frex said...

This made me laugh:
"Great News, YOU ARE ADVISED TO STOP CONTACTING THEM!!!"

I rarely get funny spam, just offers of medical enhancements... uh-huh.

I have to use a PC at work now, and it took me quite a while to adjust--i've only ever used Macs in the 20+ years of my computer life.
It was a bit annoying.
And the PC is some cheap piece of junk, which doesn't help, but these days computers are pretty similar...
Still haven't figured out lots of the fun options tho.
--Frex/Fresca

Zhoen said...

Frex,
There does seem to be a weird contradiction there.

Wasn't easy, the OR is the last place to have computer charting. I'm still no good at finding shortcuts on windows machines. I just know to make sure it's plugged in, and try turning it off then on again.

Phil Plasma said...

I've been an MS Windows user from the outset and even had my own XT back in the day. I've dabbled a bit on Apple just to be able to use it if I ever have to but since my work and the software I support runs on windows servers using MS technology, it makes more sense that we use windows.

Anyhow, about Tidy, I did a bit of that over the weekend in one of the rooms of my house with the help of V-8 and C-ling. I wasn't feeling well, so we started with the room that would take the least effort.