Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Scalp

Many years ago, D had a cyst on his scalp. Got it taken off, and a bit of lopsided shaving at the clinic. The next one that popped up, he buzzed the hair short. The next one, he decided to just shave, and it became a regular style.

Of course, ever since he'd been in the army, he got comfortable with the idea of a very short haircut, and had on occasion had it done very short even before the cysts. A roommate of mine exclaimed "You ASKED them to do that?" after a particularly military buzzcut.

Given that I, too, had done the army thing, and rather enjoyed rubbing the heads of men with velvet haircuts, this amused me greatly.

So, I took over with the haircuts, since this was very simple. He also figured that it was the dignified way to deal with bald spots. So, I became his barber, first with an electric shaver, then the razor. Well, I had been trained to shave people in nursing school.

Something I enjoy, getting down to the skin. He has a very nice head. And if he develops a lump, he's prepared.

Not that I'd mind if he decided to grow a long mane. He prefers his scalp, though. Easier to wear hats, baseball and stocking-type. And he would have a bald spot, so the plan is coming together. I think he likes me kissing his head, too.

I've avoided paying salons by letting my hair grow long. Other side of the same idea.



6 comments:

Relatively Retiring said...

My younger son, facing early hair-loss, had to choose between a comb-over or shaving. No contest!

Zhoen said...

RR,
The one is dignified, the other pathetic. Easy choice for some.

gz said...

it's known as "short back and shine" amongst my follically challenged friends!

Zhoen said...

gz,
Oh, I love that.

Phil Plasma said...

I usually buzz down to number 2, sometimes at home where I do it and my wife trims the edges, and other times at a shop near where I work. I'm not ready yet for the full head shave and am not certain if I will ever be.

Zhoen said...

Phil,
Yeah, took D a good decade of the short buzz before he wanted a full on shave to make a trip easier. Liked it so much, that's what we do.

And I enjoy doing it for him. His scalp has been healthier, too.