It's funny how both of us have gravitated so often to many of the same things. Oh, I'm still not a comic fan, and D isn't charmed by world music, although we each appreciate each other's preferences. But years of finding apartments together, knowing what we can live with, and can't, has brought our essential tastes into sync.
Which is why the house was so easy, ultimately. We knew what to look at, what to ignore. We discussed extensively, even more, we already knew, and liked the same elements. The house with the raised tile line in the middle of the floor? D didn't have to be told I worried about tripping over that, and that house was off the list. We telegraphed eloquently to each other our "nofuckingways" mid-tour so often, we took it for granted.
So, this sink project (yeah, I'm boring you, deal or skip) couldn't be much different. We went back and forth about the faucet, the one we got was a little pricier, that flat pump outflow. Finally realized, the Japanese ofuro place we went to a few times had a similar style for their spigot. Without discussion, we'd both liked it, and held it as a Good Idea somewhere in the backs of our minds.
Since we'd moved in here, I hated the sink. D may not have liked it, mostly ignored it, knew how cleaning it frustrated me. There was an episode of Changing Rooms, I think, (many years ago) where they put two basins on a slab of wood on a metal stand in a bathroom. I've had that idea percolating ever since. This is how I made that concept exist for us.
Making stuff means a lot to me. The garden, mostly. Having a house for our home gives me so many chances to make. This is great. I love this.
And D appreciates, as well as makes it all possible.
4 comments:
I love to make also, I often have grand ideas, but my execution is rather poor, most of the time.
Phil,
I figure, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.
not boring, not at all. i find that we overlap in most things and then, surprisingly, really disagree deeply, like with the current Search For The Perfect Couch, but that just means that when we DO find one we agree on, it'll be The One. seems like anything i bought that mr. monkey wasn't that much into, i ended up not liking in the long term, so perhaps we ARE always in tune, just with a time lapse somewhere in there.
sink looks gorgeous!
i'm totally impressed by your new sink, both the thing itself and your skills.
meanwhile, i am now returning to the kitchen where i am learning to make pie.
Post a Comment