Took care of a child this past week. As he was going under, he apparently lost bladder control. I don't know how usual this is with children, since I take care of so few. But a lot of young boys have bedwetting issues, so I assume it's pretty common.
Which made me wonder if this is not a bug, but a feature. That it has some evolutionary advantage. When the hunters go out with a young boy, does his involuntary urine odor in the night perhaps repel predators? Maybe something specific in the chemical makeup that is effective? Or just that it's fresh in the wee (ha!) hours? That it's sensed by the grown men as a lucky thing to have an annoying young boy along?
In the modern world, it's rather a problem. But it may have provided enough advantage throughout our long evolutionary past to be retained in our bodies.
We are junkshops, never know when that might be needed, no throwing anything away completely.
Just as we have the ability to deal with cruel leadership. Probably as common as egalitarian governance in our species' histories. We have so many ways to react, adapt, endure. We are all about survival, at the expense of comfort. Time circles round.
5 comments:
(O)
(0)
I think it is a design flaw that it is possible for us to breath in a liquid we are drinking. When just a drop gets in there it is such a pain to get it out.
Some times we need to be empty. Our body gets rid of distractions from whatever is more important.
After 30+ hrs of labour, I finally threw up the contents of my stomach and hey presto, baby arrived like a flash.
Too deep for me today.
Post a Comment