Monday, May 11, 2026

Silt

https://youtube.com/shorts/66N_v42SCrA?si=1FkLySYsD6I70_PE


Sleep is a mess, but I’ve very deliberately chosen to Not Mind. So what if I wake up in the middle of the night? I can rest later if I need to. I don’t have to perform anticipatory sleep to make sure I can function all day.  


Same with food. I don’t have to eat now, because I won’t have another opportunity - and I can’t crash then. 


Paying attention to what I really need right now, and not hoarding for later, is a change.


This is just my first real day of not going in to work because I am retired. The weekend went pretty well as I caught up on some of the more pressing and deferred tasks. Cleaning and weeding most urgently. Probably the first flash of pent up frustration at needed work too long held back. 


So, I’m mostly gushing.  Like those dam releases where all the silt is extruded by the pressure of the water behind. I expect this will settle down over time.


This is not like being out when injured. This is not like anything I’ve done before. 


Wow, I think I’m living in the moment. 


Weird. 

 

4 comments:

gz said...

Live in the moment...good.
Waking in the night is the pre industrial revolution normal. Think how long sleep cycles are..just roll with it, think nice thoughts and relax back to sleep! But physical activity is necessary during the day, or sleep can be elusive.
Enjoy this x

Sabine said...

In my first weeks of retirement I had to rediscover stillness. It was almost new for me to relearn that I was good enough to just be. Enjoy this new life.

am said...

In the moment. Yes indeed.

Zhoen said...

Sabine, I am so sorry. You have my entire sympathy.