Friday, November 04, 2016

Christopher

My mother always had a St. Christopher medal in the car. I was given one of my own when I was sent out to visit my brother in Phoenix when I was ten. The original sort of tchotchke or souvenir, with vague magical powers.



He's likely apocryphal, or at least a folk tale. Still, it would be nice to have a strongman on your side when traveling.

I rather like the older saints and the fantastic fables told of them. When you carry your god on your back, they get very heavy, maybe leave you with a spiritual gift, and eternal life. Metaphor and allegory, saints are all into that. So I understand.

6 comments:

Catalyst said...

I think even I, a non-believer, had a St. Christopher medal in my car at one time or another. And I'm partial to St. Francis of Assisi for his alleged kindness to animals.

Zhoen said...

Cat,
Oh, I'll be coming to Francis of Assisi.

Lucy said...

I remember when I was a kid at the time he was officially removed from the canon, a comedy sketch wit a spoof interview with a truck driver, who was all in bandages because he was supposedly driving when he heard the news and was so shocked he drove his truck off the road. There was genuinely quite a bit of protest and disappointment when that happened.

I like this enterprise you've embarked on, I've got a penguin dictionary of saints I've always enjoyed browsing in.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Actually it's rather fitting that the patron saint of travellers is pictured tottering under a heavy weight ...
There should be a medal on every airport trolley .

Zhoen said...

Lucy,
Ha! I remember the protest as well. People felt betrayed, and often ignored the proclamations.

S&S,
I'd never thought of that, perfect allegory extension.

the polish chick said...

(0)