Spring in February has a surreal quality. Warm and sun, which brings the cats to the open window. Not exactly sharing, but taking turns, of a sort.
So, I went to get seeds. Pease, beans, sunflowers, more Scarlet flax, because it took so well last year. Spinach and lettuce, too. Waiting to plant them on the 17th of March or thereabouts. Had some organic* potatoes sprouting in the drawer, so I got them in the ground, lest they sprout in vain. Still may not produce potatoes, at least they have a shot now.
Everything else will be buying plants, tomatoes, peppers, chilies. And more long grasses and statice. The green onions are already flourishing, we were assured they are unkillable, which is fine by me.
Much work on the house across the street, including laying the walkway concrete, and delivery of large appliances. Trucks blocking our driveway, but we didn't mind as we weren't taking the car out. I walked to my massage, which was lovely. Large trucks were gone by the time of our delivery.
Delivery guy looked at the house, and said "wow, this is beautiful!" We had to agree, we got very, very lucky.
New bedframe does not squeak at all. Taller, which is better for us. Really lovely, D chose the color. Best bed I've ever had in my life, and it should last us the rest of ours. Very solid. Getting the old one moved out was a struggle. Poor old thing, so many moves, cheap to start with, creaking at every joint. We know how it feels, so it's getting a gentle retirement to the guest room. One day, we may have a guest, even.
His parents' card for me arrived, and left me with a tear in my eye.
Overflowing with gratitude, in awe of the generosity of it all.
*Yes, I know. I took chemistry and organic chemistry. Even though I scraped by with Bs, I know this much. Try those inorganic potatoes some time. C-H-O-N-P-etc.
12 comments:
march 17th. that's $17 skiing at sugarbush day.
it would be unthinakble to plant things.
flask,
If I skied, maybe.
AHA!
Happy birthday! Now I know what the "timing is perfect" meant!
Many, many happy returns on your day, Zhoen.
Best Birthday Wishes, Zhoen!
Happy birthday. That really is a very fine bed, not just a second best bed.
Very happy birthday, and a great deal of peace and happiness in that elegant room.
A lovely day!
And seeds for a new start to another year.
Crow,
I take every accidental gift as purposeful this week. This morning, both cats on me, Eleanor in the small of my back, Moby at my foot. They both like the bed.
Lucy,
That was the reference lurking just around the corner in my mind. Even then, had to ask D where it came from. Shakespeare's will, of course as soon as he said it. Although there are other willed beds, handed from generation to generation, given as grand wedding gifts.
RR,
We got the feng shui right on this one. Need to paint, but that will have to wait.
Think about how well you know those squeaky noises your old frame made. Happy lolling in the new bed!
Nimble,
It was getting so loud we couldn't hear ourselves snore. Anyway, the floors still groan and squeak a'plenty.
Lovely card -- tender sentiment! Happy Birthday, Zhoen!
Class,
Well, it's from one of those design your own, print yourself, programs. So, uniquely thoughtful.
Post a Comment