Watched A Very British Murder with Lucy Worsley over the past month. Which lead to getting the Dorothy L. Sayers series. And means I may be getting a touch of amateur-detectivitis.
However. With the fire last week, I thought it had to be arson, and probably a thrill arson - or at least to no personal gain. Brief news item last evening, someone had admitted to intentionally starting the fire, and I thought - someone who worked there. Sure enough, they identified him as an electrician working on the site. Some minor drug violations and warrants outstanding.
Today, chatting with two neighbors with their dogs*, found out the meth (everyone knew it was) house in the middle of the block got raided and shut down on Friday. I immediately wonder if the two events are related. With the alleged arsonist's drug history and a drug operation abutting the work site, mix in an ATF task force, likely all are related. Maybe not a direct cause, but all tied into the same sweep. I expect he wasn't the only drug customer among the construction workers, either.
Gotta wonder. I do, anyway. But the neighborhood began to feel unsafe when half the duplex had those sketchy people move in, and now it's back to feeling more like the middling to shabby home ground it was before. The duplex will no doubt stay abandoned, with occasional squatters, again.
We've been noticing much more than the usual number of people, wandering around here, in groups, starting yesterday. I wonder if we have a small local tourist attraction. Everyone saw the big building go up, it's been in the news every day this week, so they probably thought, "Where exactly was that? Let's go take a look. Go downtown, do some shopping, stop by the charred ruins."
It's a fairly guiltless gawp, really. No one injured. Just a lot of money incinerated, ultimately.
*Spike and Mocha didn't know anything.
7 comments:
I don't think I'd like people coming to gawp at something bad in my neighbourhood, however harmless they were. Don't know why, just wouldn't.
Jenny,
Not wonderful, but understandable. If there had been loss of life, or ordinary folks left homeless, I'd be far less sanguine.
dorothy sayers is one of my favourite authors ever. i always said if i got a boat (not ikely, nor desired, but still…) i'd call it wimsey or harriet.
My nearest large(ish) town of Worcester is trying to promote itself as a tourist destination for the photography of flooded properties and fields.
pc,
If you get the boat, you could send it over to RR.
RR,
That is disturbing. What happened around here is local and spontaneous. If anything, officials would no doubt prefer them to keep their distance.
Now let me hear you reconstruct a man by an examination of his walking stick...
Pacian,
Oh, man, if only…
Post a Comment