The smoke here today was the worst for any large city in the world. Oh, great. My lungs ached. The very close mountains were obscured. Altogether awful to breathe. Flood and fire all around. Death stalks the world. And I try to make one small corner of it a little better, kinder, safer. I try to be one of the helpers, because what else can I do?
The new job started Monday, after flash floods the evening before and that morning that rushed down the foothills and left damage and pools. This area can't handle an inch or two of rain in an hour or so, it hurtles down in a deluge.
Our orientation was slapdash to say the least. Several departments were supposed to have representatives, and even more failed to show, excused as they were dealing with flooded areas. It was a true fustercluck. Still, some of the presentations were decent. Sadly, this did not include the HR/Benefits sections, and I'm still not sure about how to get some of this started. I don't have the badge that gives me access to all the programs I will need to perform my job, although I have temporary, and limited access. Lots of IT issues, some of which were fixed, then fell apart. I've got a list.
Worked with two other coordinators, who are getting me trained up. One is very good and thorough. The other has just not been there that long, she's doing her best. I'll be taking up half of her job, and I'll be very much needed. The learning curve is steep, and I can barely start due to aforesaid access issues.
Still.
I'm going to like this work. I do have the knowledge base. I have the attitude needed. Getting it all sorted is satisfying. Some of my former surgeons are my current surgeons, and I got to see them in my new role. I got to demonstrate by asking pertinent questions. I'll get to talk more to patients. Even ran into some anesthesiologists I know, which was enjoyable. It's going to take a while to master, but... yeah, I can do this. It fits and it's where I belong.
The VA is a lot slower paced, which is also helpful.
I have my own desk with a locking file drawer. This is new for me, and I like having my own little corner with my own little chair. I really do feel like an anti-Cinderella, looking for a quieter place to just get on with my work.
Lots of stuff to learn, many errands to complete, names to remember, policies to apply, and I'm feeling really good about it all. Not where I am at the moment, but feeling up to it.

5 comments:
That sounds like a good start, despite (or even perhaps because of) all the difficulties. Our own safe corner with locking drawer is what we all need.
Given fires and floods and pandemic, that sounds like an EXCELLENT start! May the smoke clear soon!
The world of VA medicine was vastly improved the minute you were hired! Best wishes to you and the hospital graced with your skills, your compassion and attention to details.
RR,
This will be my first desk! I really am so grateful for this opportunity.
Gentle,
Got nowhere to go but up from here!
Crow,
This VA is actually pretty highly rated. A friend, fellow RN and reference, says her dad got his new hip there and she was very impressed by the care he got. I feel I'm joining a great team.
A good start despite the chaos!
Post a Comment