"Wow, I'm glad you can do this, I know I couldn't!"
Versions on "I don't know how you do this work." I hear it often. But I feel the same about other's jobs. I don't know how surgeons can keep going and going, then find themselves with a bit of difficult anatomy, more damage, friable vessels that require tedious repairs, a bone fixation that looks good until the x-ray shows it not, and they have to start all over again, another whole procedure that needs to happen, family called for consent, and hours more fiddly, careful process.
I don't know how school teachers manage, all those little aliens running around, uninvolved parents complaining, principles and school boards and the mass of government breathing down their necks, yet they somehow manage to teach most of the little buggers something.
I don't know how EMTs manage, underpaid and making up their job as they go along. Or police, dealing with drunks and users, criminals and violence, as well as innocent victims and ordinary citizens, amazing more are not alcoholic and or corrupt. Most are good folks doing a difficult job.
I don't know how anyone survives cubicleville, sitting all day, keeping some kind of focus on doing a job. Every day, the same schedule, the paper, the memos, the meetings. IT guys, with everyone ragging on them all day, as they deal with users who are afraid to restart the computer, don't know how to check that everything is plugged in, eat over their keyboards, and want perfection at all times, then panic to the Help Desk when it is not.
I don't know how dancers and actors and musicians cope with always having to find another gig to pay rent.
I am in my right job, I love it more than it annoys me. What seems like it would be hard from those who it would not fit, are usually not the hard bits. The gross stuff, is just like the nuts and bolts of any job, it becomes background noise very quickly. The paperwork, is my way of communicating - a small point of satisfaction. The emotional wreckage, is practiced. The worst was finding the words at first, now I have patter that comes on. Genuinely meant, but the phrases are well used, the jokes well worn in, I know what to say, because I have done it so often before. I feel that emotional connection gives back far more than it takes away, to both me and the patient and family. I pour it out, and it flows back down to me. Tales to tell, souls to cherish. The absurdity of people to laugh about.
The difficult aspects are all about being hindered in doing my work well. Having to work around the people who are supposed to be helping. Equipment or supplies not available. Petty cliques. Sharp corners and the resultant bruises. Armless anesthesiologists (Those look like arms, but they don't do anything.) The inept, the new, the clueless, the irritating. Just like in every other job, joy or misery is all about who you work with.
Think you couldn't do my job? I feel the same way about yours.
15 comments:
good post z. nice insight.
Jobs look so different from the inside from the way they look from the outside. I love how you show that. I am in transition from the outside to the inside of a new one, so halfway between unfamiliarity and familiarity and still wonder ing if *I* can do my job!!
I didn't even mention, nurses feel this way about other nurses. I don't know how pediatric nurses deal with parents, often sick children have dysfunctional families. Other nurses don't know how I deal with surgeons all the time. I managed as a visiting nurse for two weeks and gave up in exasperation. I never want to be an OR nurse for cardiac surgery, long boring cases and the god-deluded attendings...
Your post articulates something that has tickled the perimeter of my consciousness for years. Thank you!
I feel the same way about most human activities.
Hmmm, it's the opposite of the "circle of envy" concept. Well written, a good post.
(0)
It's fortunate that many people do find their niches since so many other possibilities seem so dreadful! In some cases I guess people just adjust, but in the best cases it's just a good match of job with skills, interest, personality, etc.
I think I could do the job you do, that is I could put up with the blood and emotional fallout etc. but I wouldn't be good at it, would be all thumbs, drop things, not remember. However, I did watch two different nurses shave my husband, and then at home, I followed exactly what they did, and came out with a pretty good shave for him. A terrific feeling of accomplishment. Thanks for your faithful comments on my blog.
Nancy Ruth, I cannot tell you how often I have dropped and fumbled, long practice has improved my grip, grasp, and aim.
Wonderful post. Articulates the things I think of every day. As a member of the cubicle club, I often wonder how I do it, too. All these paths we take...so admirable.
Please would you read 'SEXT' from the Good Friday Auden link on my blog? It seems so very apposite here.
Anna,
Oh, that is wonderful. Thank you so much for that link. Yes, perfect.
There is also that paycheck.
Much as I love what I do, I would not do it 40+hours a week if not for the money sustaining my food and rent habits.
Everywhere life is full of heroism.
Well done you, a great post.
Post a Comment