Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Toast

Yesterday, worked with a worrier. Now, I worry, plan, prepare, I know whereof I speak.

But she goes right off the charts, and shares. That last bit is what gets me, when she gets her teeth in, gnawing and growling, and cannot be consoled or dissuaded.

It's all going to hell, we are all getting screwed, we have to lie there and take it. She often goes in to the late room and offers to let them go home, and because she so often worries about getting in her hours, most people say fine, sure, whatever. But then she'll complain about how she is always in the late room, and how tired she is.

She was working herself up about how we get paid our time off last evening, which is changing. Really, it's more administrative, but all she could see is how we will be getting less (probably not) and we'll be losing our sick time (we won't, it just goes in with everything else.) This with the other RN as I cleaned up the room at the end of the day, and they are standing there whining. Finally, when I'd gotten everything done, I said they were getting me depressed, and I had to go home.

She also went on about how people are just going home these days and not helping clean up rooms. When we would have to sit around for more than an hour to do so, that's what we are supposed to do, saves the department money, we get to go home. And then she was on about how the place isn't making money, so we will all lose out when it goes out of business. She will sit around for hours, and miss the clean up of the last room. She is a walking Catch 22.

I struggle not to get sucked in, but holding so tight to the edge tires me out only somewhat less than just dropping in. By the time I got home, nearly 2 hours late, I was toast.

This week, I am abstaining from alcohol, beer specifically, as my use has crept up, and it's a good idea to stop habits occasionally. A test to make sure it's just a habit, not a dependence. When I got home last night, that beer in the fridge loomed balefully, and as I hugged D, I whispered, "I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue." He laughed, and that made it all better. Being able to make him laugh is one of the main purposes of my life.

Got off early by the clock, but my feet are convinced I've been standing on them at least 12 hours or more. How do two cases take that much energy? And I got to work with a great scrub tech today. On the other hand, the software was updated over the weekend, and the drop-down menus were obscuring the button to save the dropped down selection. Took twice as long to do the workaround to get the chart done. Compcaste changed something on Friday for us as well, and we lost use of our phone. D got it sorted today, with another provider, and we have a new phone number. No sweat, I like the new one better anyway.


New door tomorrow. I may paint it. Red. One should have at least one red door in one's life.

5 comments:

Rouchswalwe said...

Ja! Red! By all means red! Don't let those whingers win the day, I say!

Phil Plasma said...

My mother-in-law is a worrier. It does get a little out of hand sometimes, but I am pretty much immune.

I'm way at the other end of the spectrum - some say I do not worry in situations where they feel I should.

Lucy said...

That sniffing glue scene always reduces me to helplessness, the way he's all red and shiny and his hair's all stalky.

I always have a suspicion moaning people like that are probably moaning about me too in my absence. I worked with one once but she was kind of the epitome of congenitally stupid so very easy to ignore and/or put straight. This one sounds as if she has a half-functioning, if flawed, power of reason which probably makes her harder work. Hang on in there!

julia said...

Oh dear, I am a worrier but I internalise my worries, not so a co-worker who was Mr Doom and Gloom personified. He would come in and start going on and I would end up a nervous wreck, so hard to cope with. Give me positive people any day and so I try, always, to be bubbly and happy even if I am drying up inside and, actually, it helps me too.

I also picked a fine time to stop sniffing solvents, the pain is bad but I reckon falling over intoxicated with a tube of adhesives stuck to my nostrils would make my knees much worse :-)

Zhoen said...

Rou,
Red it is, then,

Phil,
We all need your balance.

Lucy,
That movie still gets to me. Such massive silliness - something always gets through.

Oh, she's more than functioning, she's actually extremely good at her job, I would feel safe with her as my nurse if I were in surgery. This is part of why she gets to me so badly sometimes. She gets so damn near the point... then careens around it.

Mouse,
When we fool the people we fear, we fool ourselves as well. To paraphrase an old lyric. And yes, best not to fall down right now. On the other hand, you do have some decent, legal, drugs, right?