Monday, June 11, 2012

Quart

Got about a quart of new soil when I sifted the compost heap. Put in on the potatoes - as I am assured that this is the way to get more potatoes. The heap has been an unexpected success, albeit a very small one. It smells good and loamy, and it's breaking down well.

P at work asked if I'd put in any fruit. No, from what I've read it's not the easiest sort of thing to grow. I mentioned that I was prepared for getting nothing at all out of the garden this year. P was aghast, but it was the simple truth. This is my first attempt, an experiment. Failure is always an option. Great to have a significant amount of food from our own garden, but I was not going to be all disappointed if it didn't work. Given how much toxic material I took out of the garage to the county waste disposal site, who knew what was there? What might grow well? What kind of soil, vegetable eating insects, sunlight, birds, are here? I had no idea. ANYTHING that works at all is a blessing.

The hopes of planting more in the front are mostly dashed, delayed at least. Without stripping out the first 18" of dirt and replacing it with topsoil, using earth moving equipment, not much is going to work. I will continue to dig deep holes and put in what I can. A very long, arduous project. Eventually, yes, but not any time soon.

Ideally, I want a large statue of a penguin out there. Or something like

this

.

5 comments:

herhimnbryn said...

I had a bit of garden that wouldn't grow anything(soil like concrete), but I tried a very small 'no dig' garden (size of a hay bale) and the herbs I planted grew into healthy bushes. Maybe a 'no dig' might work for you?

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2214370.htm

Love those images, wouldn't it grand to have one of those 'people' laying around in your plot!

Zhoen said...

h,
Oh, the back is doing fine. And what I've managed to dig in front is doing wonderfully well. It was just such hard work to get through. Just a matter of time, since spending money on it is not really an option.

One winter, I will have a poly tunnel/tiny greenhouse as well. There is time.

Rouchswalwe said...

Troll ale party!!!

Joan said...

Gardening is a game of patience (well, not a game...) and of not trying to go against Mother Nature. Potatoes are an ideal first crop as they are not too picky about soil conditions and will indeed do a good job of breaking down the earth. You're a natural!

Zhoen said...

Rou,
Dunno, he's got a big gob, might just hog it all...

Joan,
I lucked into a very good class, one of those that leaves you understanding. The potatoes were a fluke.