Sunday, June 24, 2012

Shit

Dug a hole, before it got unbearably hot. Still turned red (not a sunburn, a marked flush) and got a nice throbbing headache. Yes, I did check my BP, still low. When it's 115/60 and I feel hot and overworked, I don't think I have a problem.

I find I really love doing physical work with an intellectual component. Understanding the chemistry and physics of compaction and a saline (salt lake, after all) area that desperately needs nitrogen. Stayed out a bit longer than was wise. Not going back out until the shade covers that area again.





This hole did not get down to a sandy layer with rocks. Just more and more clay.Poured in a bucket of water, managed then to get down a bit further, still without hitting the drainage layer. If there even is one. A good two shovels deep. So I read up on dealing with heavy clay soils, and got some of the good shit.









(Thanks herhimnbryn for suggesting Spaced in the first place.)

More tomatoes on the way. Evident bug damage to some leaves, but they survive. I go out and squish aphids like zits. Disgustingly satisfying.






3 comments:

Phil Plasma said...

Nice looking tomato. I won a tree but it hasn't been delivered yet, I'll be digging a hole in clay soon also.

The heat here has just broken, rain and chilly for the next few days.

Zhoen said...

Phil,
Have you got a pick-axe? I don't, but I think it would have helped a great deal.

sigh

rain and chilly....

Rouchswalwe said...

My green pepper plants aren't even hand high yet ... sigh ...