So much coughing and congestion has finally taken away my voice. Wasn't feeling that bad at work, not great, but nowhere near ill enough to call in. Tired, but not exhausted. I'd been sucking on cough drops and taking mucous thinners, irrigated sinuses last night. But as the morning wore on, my raspy voice became harder and harder to produce, until I started signing and writing notes, finally down to wheezes and squeaks. So, when S came to relieve me, I reluctantly accepted. I could no longer function, since I couldn't be heard.
So, I'm home, still coughing, still stuffy, and now on a complete vow of silence until Thursday morning.
This is a nasty virus we are all dealing with. My surgeon today is just getting over his bout with it. So, this morning when a number of critical problems came up, he refrained from venting his frustration at his fellow sufferer, or at the float scrub who came in today to help. He bit on a towel to express himself, but otherwise kept it to himself. I hear he lost it in front of the charge nurse, but even then kept it from being a personal attack. He is one of our more volatile surgeons. Although those of us who have worked with him a long time also know he has a good heart, and much of the noise is because he is passionate about the care he gives his patients.
One of the notes that I kept for reuse was "STOP MAKING ME TALK!"
Sending D messages via chat.
Windows are open, air is warm and summery.
4 comments:
Oh, boo---sorry you're still ill.
Your note reminds me of one my sister wrote when she had her wisdom teeth out (40? years ago):
"Stop making me laugh!"
Fresca,
Exactly. Funny Dr. H kept asking me questions. Also the internet kept going out, and interrupting HIS MUSIC!!!
The resident Zach, joined in with enthusiasm, which caused a number of highly inappropriate gestures.
Gods, I hope the complainer wasn't watching and reporting back to manager.... oh, wait, there wasn't anyone else in the room. Whew.
Conveniently, you don't need your voice to blog.
Aw, you figured me out.
Yeah, writing more today.
Post a Comment