Trouble at work from the sort-of-gone, not quite gone enough, evil manager. Written up, and it feels personal and vindictive. Anonymous complaint, again, and vague. When I asked the circumstances and what exactly happened, she shrugs and says "I don't know, I'm not back there!" And the also usual, "everybody" vague complaint. So, I take it to the people I work with, who are baffled, grasping at something that makes sense. One suggests I make a list of everyone I speak to, which makes a lie of the "everybody" and I know who I believe. But I'm fighting it, and appealing the write up* according to policy.
I suspect it is personal, as she tried to lash out at the nurse who'd gone to do her thesis, but was kept on the hired list. Shot a blank there, see. My thorough and open honesty is making a lie of her complaint against me. It's still a blow, and I'm doing my best tai chi on it, to turn it back on her. She may well have made it all up out of whole cloth. Or a couple of the ancillary people saw banter and took it personally and out of context. OR banter is rough and sarcastic, and I'm good at keeping up my end.
The unabashed support I got from everyone I work with, including the astonished and forceful reaction from our head anesthesiologist, cheers me even more than her sniping harm. Still, a night without decent sleep while coming down with a coughing virus, not what I needed. Last night, D took to the spare room to avoid keeping me awake with his cough. I am entirely grateful. Although at one point we were both awake, barking to each other like seals across the pier.
Raining, and the garden is happy. Seeds coming up, allium blooming, everything greening.
On Wednesday, I read by the window with tea. When I got up, Moby decided this was a really good idea, and took over the chair.

He's back there now.

He's always been a cat of particular moods, choosing a favorite place to sleep for a stretch, then another. Last week, he only wanted to be in the back room on the bed. Sometimes it's D's chair, or the sofa, or the sideboard. We just assume it's a Cat Thing, and we Wouldn't Understand.
*Left to stand, it will deprive me of any raise or bonus this year.
10 comments:
Hmmm, been there with a bullying manager who fanned the flames of my burn-out. Happily I am finally now able to stand up to such people but it's very nasty and most wearing and doesn't help the old immune system, does it?
Hang in there, I now you will, and hope you feel better soon
(Loved the image of barking seals!)
Sorry to read this. Bullying is such a complex matter, aimed to get you where it really hurts. I'm glad to see you have lots of support.
I appreciate the barking seals, too. Get well soon, both of you.
The Bully is the one with the problem...but that doesn't help those on the receiving end.
It is a Cat Thing. You are after all, looking after His Places....and vice versa !
Your selfless devotion to keeping places warm for your canine manager will earn its own reward. I'm sorry for what you are experiencing at present, on the work front. I hope there are calmer waters ahead.
Julia,
With this one, any standing up to would be seen as insubordination. So, I had to sidestep and build my case and go over her head, which seems to be working.
RR,
I have a lot of weak points when it comes to bullies, but I held up pretty well this time. I didn't catastrophize, didn't get all martyr-y, just took it in, worked through it, and planned. Re-read my appeal, and it's rational and thorough.
gz,
We're looking after each other. All four of us.
Tom,
Did you just call her a bitch? I like it!
I'm late on this one; at the very least there is a silver lining that this canine is on the way out.
Phil,
Not soon enough, but I will bide.
I think Tom meant feline, but if the taxonomy fits...
Let the support more than cancel out the nasty stuff; you seem to be holding out against the latter admirably.
Lucy,
I wondered if he was referring to one of the cats, but decided to go for the more humorous interpretation.
Doing my best.
It sounds exhausting having to counter an anonymous complaint. Wishing you plenty of energy to support your deflect and repel response.
Post a Comment