Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Intimacy

Half awake last night, I felt a cat between us, reached down expecting Eleanor's silky fur, and felt Zeppo's satin. He eased under my hand, purred deeply, rolled to his side, put his chin over my elbow, then nestled his nose into my elbow-pit. And fell deeply asleep, little twitches. I stayed as still as possible, and held him gently.

Eventually, he woke up and trundled off. And today will not approach me. That's fine, we have time.

Work was.. work I'm tired and glad of my Wednesdays off.

Our friends' wedding is coming up, and I'm invited to the shower. Which gives me heebiejeebies. I hate showers, wedding or baby, far worse than just parties. It's a long drive for me, especially to do alone. I like her a lot, and I don't want to be cranky. And I do not want to go. The family wedding shower thrown for me 35 years ago was so awful and awkward it still makes me shudder. I don't think I can go with a clear heart. No, I know I can't. RSVPing nope. We will gladly attend the reception. Well, calmly at least. We thought we were done with weddings, but exceptions must be made occasionally. I do not like weddings.

8 comments:

Nimble said...

Oh glad to hear at the end of the post that you're able to rsvp a no.

Stealthy cat snuggle!

Zhoen said...

Nimble,

I feel a bit bad about it, but I'm sticking to that.

Zeppo snuggled between us last night again, got Dylan to give him a good scritching.

gz said...

If its just not you, you don't have to..you will be going to the reception after all.

sounds like Zeppo is maybe giving care as well as receiving?

Rouchswalwe said...

Yepp, I hear you, Z! Oddly, the one time I would have been overjoyed to go to a shower and the reception, neither happened. They just up and eloped!

Zhoen said...

Rou,
I think their reception will be fine. The other bits, I'd have to go without Dylan, drive what is for me a long way... I wouldn't be a good guest.

flask said...

i have learned over life that if one sends a nice little gift, one can be forgiven skipping most social events.

Zhoen said...

flask,

I gave her the Bedoin earrings I'd gotten in Saudi during GWI, wedding earrings.

Zhoen said...

Bedouin.