Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Tails



Late to the dentist, early this morning. New dentist, all the modern equipment. They made it comfortable, as much as possible. And I need several old cavity repairs re done, cracked fillings and darkening areas. For two years since last cleaned, it wasn't too bad. This is the story of my life right now, "Not too bad for my age." I'm going with this. The expense will wipe out the inheritance remainder, but at last I have it.

My old dentist was already getting close to retirement, and had health problems. No doubt this plague put the seal on it, I have not gotten a postcard suggesting a cleaning. So, I have a young dentist to get me through the next couple of decades. Very high tech, too.

6 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have head of a few older doctors hanging it up when this virus appeared. Who can blame them.

Rouchswalwe said...

So far, my place of employment has held on to giving each employee cleanings twice annually for a modest fee (panoramic X-Rays once a year). So my teeth are happy. About a decade ago, my hygienist received training and began using a Cavitron Ultrasonic Waterjet device, and I was awed, very quickly getting used to the pampering (I also haven't had a cavity in ages). Then, late last year, she died on us. Suddenly. I still miss her (and not only because of the Cavitron skills she possessed). At my last appointment, a was introduced to a new hygienist who scraped the old-fashioned way (I had completely forgotten how unpleasant that procedure is). Ach, high-tech can be a good thing in the hands of talented professionals.

Zhoen said...

Starting,
It makes sense, really. I was feeling slightly guilty about switching, but there's no point.

Rou,
My new hygienist was SO gentle and thorough. And taught me how to floss properly.

Relatively Retiring said...

We are still stuck here with emergency treatment only. Dentists are supposed to be reopening, but many are unable to obtain the appropriate PPE nor to comply with other requirements about cleaning and distancing. I continue to pay the monthly fee for private treatment as it's difficult to find an NHS dentist, but goodness knows when treatment will be available.
It all makes me think of (possibly exaggerated) stories about my great-grandmother who used to remove people's teeth for them, presumably with their consent.
Don't come and visit the UK for a very long time!

gz said...

Yes, as RR said, emergency treatment only.
Dentists have requested PPE equipment from the NHS...and were not only refused, but were not allowed an increase in their allowance per patient, ( the costs of even masks have gone up tenfold). Here comes an increase in costs for us, even for NHS treatment.

Zhoen said...

RR,
At least the mask issue has largely been solved by crafters. We never got swamped here, so there is still PPE. I did have to tell the younger hygienist, when she came in to do a few additional x-rays,
"Um, non-latex gloves please... and put on your mask... and your eye protection...."

gz,
I'll be paying through the nose, even with insurance.