Found a spider on the rain barrel, so I asked her permission for a photo, and recorded her for inaturalist.com. I'm always thrilled when one of my photos gets labeled "Research Grade" on there. (See sidebar) These photos might qualify next.


Walked the garden this morning and found not one spiky-seed grass. Other weeds certainly, and elm seedlings, but I've gotten it all down to the inevitable but small annoyance stage. The sunflowers and mustard have crowded them out, and I've plucked the rest. Never thought I'd manage to get this far.
The skateboard protest Thursday was awesome, so much energy and movement. I knew they were meeting at the park and going downtown, but not their route. So when I heard the skateboards, I ran out to wave. Bikes, rollerskates, all stuff with wheels. Nice symbolism too, this rolling wave of change in the face of entrenched racism and stubborn authority. Strip the police off, like a garden infested. Lay new soil and start fresh. Build it up with more variety, more services for the poor, the homeless, the mentally ill, maybe a better focus on detectives working property crimes and domestic violence, and cops walking neighborhoods, get 'em out of their precious, safe, car bubbles. More oversight, more diversity, refocus them on deescalation and connecting troubled people to help instead of punishment. No money from ticketing traffic violations, only correction and assistance. No weapons, only defensive martial arts. There is research about this, it doesn't have to be invented out of whole cloth.
Change gonna come.
9 comments:
(0)
Ja! When I first moved to Western Japan, the local police welcomed me to the neighbourhood. I lived in a larger town and discovered that each neighbourhood has a police box to which a group of officers is assigned. They walk the beat and know everybody. Might be an important part of why crime rates are lower there. Something for me to research.
Rou,
Yeah, I've been thinking about Japanese police. Unarmed, too.
I think you're right. Not sure about that spider, though.
Cat,
Spiders are the good guys, except in Australia. Read Charlotte's Web?
I love the skateboard protest concept.
Nimble,
The sound was amazing, like hundreds of train sets together with roller skates and bikes. Whoosh.
that RG banner is like crack.
also, if you're identifying spiders, the first bit is the placement of the eyes.
flask,
Indeed.
I'll watch for eyes, then.
Post a Comment