Thursday, April 07, 2022

Wool

 As long as I remember, I've had a foam pillow.  Latex or whatever manufactured substance to make foam. Memory foam for many years now.  And it does support my wonky neck. But recently, as we look to remove the degrading and eventually disposed of plastics in our lives, I looked up what natural fibers are best for night sweating and still supportive. 

Wool pillows are a thing. Did a bit of research, and although certainly not cheap, they are comparable to our stained and starting to smell artificial pillows.  Last night was the first try, and I'm very happy about the results.  Dylan is still asleep, so I'm guessing it's a Yes from him as well. (He has his own pillow issues that these will hopefully address.)

They are different, and after a lifetime of the other sort, it did take a bit of adjustment. I've used feather and other fluffy but not supportive pillows. The kind you have to roll up to get under the neck, in hotels, and in the Army. But these have a lot more heft, they don't just collapse when I put my head on them. My face didn't sweat, my eyes weren't being squished from the side. 

And they arrived in paper and cardboard, without any plastic bags or excess packaging or padding. 

I'm considering the last third or quarter (depending) of my life as a time to spend a bit more for life-stuff that will last to the end.  A robe that will last 30 years will likely be the last one I'll need. Spend a bit more now, while we can, and get it to finish out the day.  Winds up being less expensive per. And I can just repair good stuff, when plastic breaks or degrades, there is nothing to be done for it. 

See: Vimes Boot Theory

Not trying to be morbid, but this is the phase of life I'm entering. For now, I'm making decent money, when I retire, it may be a bit thinner. And I'm still buying green bananas. 



5 comments:

Nimble said...

.

Zhoen said...

: )

Catalyst said...

I just read something along those lines. Don't save the good wine for a special occasion - drink it today! At least that's what the wise person said and I like that advice.

gz said...

Very wise.
I always put a wool blanket under a good cotton sheet...whether on an airbed or ordinary mattress. Gives me better sleep

Zhoen said...

Cat,
That's the idea.

gz,
That... ok, going to try this as well. Don't have a full size wool blanket, but two wool army blankets sewn together. If I run the seam down between it it should be good enough for proof of concept for us. Thank you!