Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Thrift

When I started work at age 17, 1978, the minimum wage was $2.65/hour. I counted it up to the penny. No one told me it would be cut in half by social security and taxes. When I got my first check, I wept. All that was left went into the bank. I learned to save early. I scrounged, I was a skinflint. Pinched every penny twice before spending it.

Yet. When I first went to college, ATM's were on campus, and paid out $5 bills. I used a LOT of $5 bills. Until I had nothing left. An early lesson in the value of making it hard to access liquid funds. I would never make that mistake again. I feared wasting money even more than wasting food.

Thrift is useful, I took it to an extreme. Dylan coaxed me out of it, as we had more income to expend. I feel more balanced these days.



Ahem. Not saying what these photos are of, but feel free to speculate. Not exact, but representative. For House.

6 comments:

The Crow said...

Oh, that oak pedestal table is perfect for House! Where will the new lamp go?

Lovely choices; House is warm with pleasure, I'm sure!

Zhoen said...

Crow,

The lamp is on a traction arm, and will go in the kitchen, where the much fudged lamp is now. Much easier to turn on in the middle of the night. The old lamp, bought from Economy Harware in Boson, lo these many years ago, oft repaired and re-shaded, will no doubt find another spot. The table is 12 weeks off, so we shall wait. House, I hope, knows we love her dearly.

One day there will be an estate sale, I wonder who will get a great bargain, and who shall inherit? No matter, I'll be gone.

gz said...

It is hard to relax generations of Make Do and Mend....

Zhoen said...

gz,

Because those are good habits and attitudes, when not taken to extremes without need.

Gentle Eye said...

House is so lucky!

Zhoen said...

Gentle,
We are beyond fortunate to have found House. And each other.