Saturday, August 15, 2020

Sphinx

White-lined sphinx, apparently.

Hyles lineata, also known as the white-lined sphinx, is a moth of the family Sphingidae. They are sometimes erroneously referred to as the hummingbird moth because of their bird-like size (2-3 inch wingspan) and flight patterns.[2]

Wanted to strip the grey off the inside of the bathroom door. Shouldn't, because it's too hot these days and I have to do this outside. Wanted to anyway, but I jammed my thumb in the folding sawhorse.  So, now I'm irritable because I had a project, decided not to do it, then tried to anyway, couldn't, and I'm at loose ends.

Going to have a black thumb, it's merely purple now.

5 comments:

gz said...

Ow, pain and frustration.. commiserations.

I have seen the Hummingbird Hawkmoth..has to be seen to be believed as they say, but even then it is hard to credit what you are seeing.

Catalyst said...

Yes, we have those down here. Judy had mistaken one for a hummingbird the other night until I told her it was a moth. Sorry about your thumb.

Zhoen said...

gz,
I've seen two large sphinx moths this summer, they are BIG. The one earlier caught my eye from inside, I thought it was injured, but eventually I figured it was laying eggs.

Cat,
We also have a pair of hummingbirds, and I've seen them close enough to be sure they are hummingbirds. I iced it immediately, so it's not too bad.

Rouchswalwe said...

Z! That is amazing ... wow! I've not seen such a large moth with my own two eyes.

So sorry about your thumb. Hope it heals lickety-split. (I like that word and try to use it every so often.)

Zhoen said...

There is another on the inaturalist link, right under Zeppo's photo on the sidebar. Click on that, and there are more photos and info. They really are hummingbird size. This is the first year I've seen them as well.