Sunday, December 15, 2019

Plenty

Friends by last evening, Eleanor very affectionate. Zeppo did not make an appearance. Zeppo beside me when I woke up, so I petted him. Eleanor appeared, "UM..." But merely hung out and sniffed my arm and watched Zeppo purr. Plenty of love to go around, and more all the time. Zeppo woke Dylan up earlier with a paw on his face, like Eleanor does with me. This means Zeppo NEEDS his claws trimmed, which means being Picked Up, not a happy for him. Being held is ok, getting the pedicure fine, but cornering him to grab him, wow no nope.

I was tasked this week with disposing of the disliked brand, and what is more, decaffeinated coffee that had been sitting in the staff lounge taking up cupboard space. There was a lot of it. It's now outside in a bucket of water, composting. Had to open up every packet, which took a lot more time than I'd planned on, and it got all over my arms. I think that is what Eleanor has been sniffing at ever since, with evident pleasure. I will have to experiment later. There is of course no other coffee in the house, since neither of us drink it, and I dislike even the smell of coffee.

Read The Maze of Cadiz, Aly Monroe. Not sure what I just read, but I enjoyed it. And now I'm reading up on the role of Spain in WWII, which is a snarl in a knot covered in glue and grit. Knew about Operation Mincemeat and Garbo, both of which are referenced, but not the central focus of the novel. One way a book can be good for me is if I want to find out more on the era and place, to understand the context and references. That, and as soon as I finished it, I wanted to read it again. Anyway, I like her prose. The plot is perhaps not the point. I'm not sure that's a recommendation generally, but it works for me.




“I hold this to be the highest task of a bond between two people: that each should stand guard over the solitude of the other.”

-Rainer Maria Rilke


3 comments:

Catalyst said...

I find we share the same interests in books. And I love that Rilke quote.

gz said...

I'm not all that keen on modern fiction, but that based on fact has me intrigued too.

Zhoen said...

I've been reading up on the Spanish Civil War, which is such a mess. They were 'neutral' during both world wars, which seems peculiar. Not a time or place I've ever really studied. Dylan also found a BBC documentary from 1980, not long after Franco died. Depressing, but interesting depressing.